For most businesses a newsletter is a good idea. We recommend producing a newsletter at least twice a year, or more often if you are in a competitive area of business.
Although not a direct sales tool, a newsletter achieves a lot of what
you are trying to do through other sales channels. These include company
promotion by getting your brand in front of your customers, customer
support through sharing information and advice plus the ability to
highlight areas of your business that some customers may not be aware
So, what is the best channel for your business? Email newsletters have
cost advantages and environmental benefits, but can be limiting on space
so really the first question is how much do you have to say to your
customers? If you have a lot to say a printed newsletter may be the
better option. If you can cover off your newsletter in short bites then
an email newsletter may be the way to go.
The second thing to consider is your customers. If they do business via
email then an email newsletter will work well, but if many of your
customers don't spend a lot of time behind a computer, an email
newsletter might miss the mark.
Whichever method of delivery you choose here are a few tips that apply to all newsletters:
1) Make sure your newsletters are free of spelling errors and written well.
2) Make sure they are of benefit to your customers - if it is only a sales piece or a brag sheet customers will be turned off.
3) Make sure they look nice and are in keeping with your brand style and guidelines.
4) Don't make them too text heavy. Use images as much as possible to tell the story.
5) If it is an email newsletter always point it back to your website, if
it is printed newsletter always have a PDF copy on your website for
- Is it worth paying for a professional brand?
- CMYK, PMS, and RGB, … wait, what?
- Does a brand have value and if so how much?
- What is a brand and why should I care?
- How do I improve my google ranking?
- Why do print prices vary so much?
- The budget's tight, how do I promote more for less?
- Do you have a marketing budget?
- Email or Printed Newsletter?
- Should I be involved in Social Media?